It’s the name of our latest effort here at restore – the Michigan Orphan Justice Operative.
While the name is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, our mission is very serious. Right now – and right here in Michigan – over 4,000 children are without parents. These children are Michigan’s orphans.
There are various terms for these children: Wards of the State, Michigan’s Orphans, or Michigan’s Waiting Children. They have become orphans because the State of Michigan has terminated the parental rights of their birth parents. Parental rights are taken away in extreme cases of abuse … or neglect … or endangerment. In these extreme cases, the child will never be returned to his or her birth parent.
We believe this is a serious injustice that is unacceptable, and we want to do something about it.
God wants his followers to join with him in restoring the world around us. God has always worked to correct injustice, overcome poverty and oppression, and help those in need. We think the best way to overcome and correct this particular injustice is to motivate God’s people – his church – to adopt these children. After all, the people of God are called to set the standard for compassion and healing and injustice amidst all the world’s brokenness.
And that’s what mojo is all about.
We help educate and inform churches all across Michigan about these children, and we provide practical ways for churches to be to be shining examples of God’s love and justice. Here is a sampling of some of the services that we provide:
- We “get the message out” in a short lesson on Michigan’s orphans. Depending on the needs of your church, these lessons can range from three minutes to an entire hour.
- We offer financial grants to families that are looking to adopt one of Michigan’s waiting children.
- We can help set up and organize an orphan ministry in your church
- We provide materials and resources to help educate your church about orphans in Michigan.
- We do not ask for any money or offerings. In fact, we are willing to give your church money to help Michigan’s orphans!
If you are interested in a mojo presentation at your church, please give us a call at 616-895-7325, or send us an email at email@example.com.